Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Coolest gift ever

One of the best Christmas gifts I ever got was a poem. Miranda wrote her version of "Where I'm From" and framed it for me. I decided to write my own for my mom. Consider writing one for yourself. Use this template to get you started. Here's my poem.

WHERE I'M FROM


I am from apron strings, from Red Man, and rabbit dogs.
I am from the house up the dirt path.
I am from the magnolia, the tobacco, and the red clay.
I am from strawberry waffles on Christmas and strong-willed determination,
from Luby Rand and Bertha Ann and the McLains.
I am from stubbornness and witty sarcasm.
From meaner-than-a-two-headed-snake and too-independent-for-your-own-good.
I am from the hand of the Creator and saved by Grace.
I'm from North Carolina, collard greens, and sweet tea.
From the Pa who “took away” warts, the Granny who let me drink coffee, the Daddy taken so young, and the Mama who persevered through it all.
I am from shoe boxes full of photos we will caption “next time” with their crew cuts, shining eyes, and dark lips smiling up at me.


Wendy Renee Windham McLain
2008

No comments: