Monday, June 30, 2008

"McParenting"

So last night our Parenting class met. We raced through 3 chapters, but still managed to have a good time discussing what we learned. One of the most striking concepts for me was Short term vs. Long Term parenting. Which would you choose for your child when she is 30? Ivy League education/career and life with no morality OR a job she finds fulfilling and a heart for God and others. That is not to say that life will be "either/or" but often we parents get caught up in the external measures of success vs. the internal growth in our kids. I know I am guilty of getting sucked into the pursuit of straight A report cards. Do I spend that much time cultivating strong character traits in my kids? I'm going to give that some serious thought over the next few days...

No comments: